Autism is a complicated condition that includes problems with communication and behavior. It can involve a wide range of symptoms and skills. ASD can be a minor problem or a disability that needs full-time care in a special facility.
Common symptoms of Autism
- A lack of eye contact
- A narrow range of interests or intense interest in certain topics
- Doing something over and over, like repeating words or phrases, rocking back and forth, or flipping a lever
- High sensitivity to sounds, touches, smells, or sights that seem ordinary to other people
- Not looking at or listening to other people
- Not looking at things when another person points at them
- Not wanting to be held or cuddled
- Problems understanding or using speech, gestures, facial expressions, or tone of voice
- Talking in a sing-song, flat, or robotic voice
- Trouble adapting to changes in routine
Causes of Autism
- Autism runs in families, so certain combinations of genes may increase a child’s risk.
- A child with an older parent has a higher risk of autism.
- Pregnant women who are exposed to certain drugs or chemicals, like alcohol or anti-seizure medications, are more likely to have autistic children.
Treatment for Autism
- Behavioral and communication therapy - to help with structure and organization.
- Medications - to help with symptoms of ASD, like attention problems, hyperactivity, or anxiety.
- Behavioral management therapy
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Early intervention
- Educational and school-based therapies
- Joint attention therapy
- Medication treatment
- Nutritional therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Parent-mediated therapy
- Physical therapy
- Social skills training
- Speech-language therapy
Occupational therapists are key. Providing advice and interventions to target each sense, helps the child’s nervous system become more organized and regulated. This can reduce the child’s anxiety and exhaustion, and improve their attention and performance.
Great Neck: 475 Northern Blvd., Ste.11, Great Neck, NY 11021
Tel. (516) 829-0030
Farmingdale: 309 North West Dr., Farmingdale, NY 11735 Tel. (516) 420-2900
Woodbury: 150 Woodbury Rd., Woodbury, NY 11797 Tel. (516) 367-1111
Deer Park: 2024 Deer Park Ave., Deer Park, NY 11729 Tel. (631) 243-0247
North Shore Towers: 272-78 Grand Central Pkwy., Floral Park, NY 11005 Tel. (516) 344-0030
In-Home Physical & Occupational Therapy (Home Care): 516-829-0030
*Home therapy servicing Long Island, Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn, the Bronx & Manhattan*
Bayside - Aquatic Therapy: 208-32 Cross Island Pkwy., Bayside, NY11360 Tel. (718) 224-8480
Oceanside: 2421 S Long Beach Rd., Oceanside, NY 11572 Tel. (516) 992-2282
New York City: 250 West 93rd Street, New York, NY 10025 Tel. (212) 580-0125
Links: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube
Dr. Vinod Somareddy, PT, DPT
Reddy Care Physical Therapy
Reddy Care Occupational Therapy
Reddy Care Aquatic Therapy