Millions of people suffer from back pain whether it's due to an injury or illness. Exercise is a good way to get rid of back pain. Exercising the back reduces stiffness and improves mobility to keep the ligaments and tendons flexible to prevent injuries. Here are a few Do’s and Don’ts of exercising with back pain.
- Back stretches which include press ups and back pocket stretches.
- Press ups: lie on your stomach and place your hands on the floor as if you were starting a push up. Press just your upper body up, allowing your lower back to sag by keeping your hips close to the ground. Hold for a few seconds.
- Back pocket stretches: stand up and place both hands behind you as if putting them in your rear pockets of your jeans, look up and extend (arch) your back.
- It is important to support your spine. Do pelvic tilts to help your core muscles.
- Pelvic tilts: lie on your back with your knees bent and tighten your stomach muscles until the small of your back is flat against the floor.
- Aquatic therapy helps with support and is safe for back pain.
- Do pay attention to your posture.
- Do not do full sit ups or crunches because this will put too much pressure on the back.
- Do not over do it because that can lead to injuries and make the pain worse.
- Do not run or jog. High impact exercises may increase stress to the back and cause joint injuries.
- Do not perform certain exercises such as toe touches, leg lifts or lifting weights. These exercises may lead to more back pain.
If you or a loved one is suffering from back pain and want to learn more about how to get rid of the pain, call our office today!
Great Neck: 475 Northern Blvd., Ste.11, Great Neck, NY 11021 Tel. (516) 829-0030
Farmingdale: 309 North West Dr., Farmingdale, NY 11735 Tel. (516) 420-2900
Woodbury: 150 Woodbury Rd., Woodbury, NY 11797 Tel. (516) 367-1111
Deer Park: 2024 Deer Park Ave., Deer Park, NY 11729 Tel. (631) 243-0247
North Shore Towers: 272-78 Grand Central Pkwy., Floral Park, NY 11005 Tel. (516) 344-0030
In-Home Physical & Occupational Therapy (Home Care): 516-829-0030
*Home therapy servicing Long Island, Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn, the Bronx & Manhattan*
Bayside - Aquatic Therapy: 208-32 Cross Island Pkwy., Bayside, NY11360 Tel. (718) 224-8480
Oceanside - 2421 S Long Beach Rd., Oceanside, NY 11572 Tel. (516) 992-2282
Sources: Sunrisehospital, Northeastspineandsports
Links: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube
Dr. Vinod Somareddy, PT, DPT
Reddy Care Physical Therapy
Reddy Care Occupational Therapy
Reddy Care Aquatic Therapy
Reddy Care Physical & Occupational Therapy
Reddy Care Physical & Occupational Therapy is an outstanding specialty service providing exceptional care and state-of-the-art treatments for the residents of Farmingdale and Great Neck, New York. The combination of innovative exercise programs, manual therapy, and technology together with the expertise of every member of the team enables Reddy Care Physical & Occupational Therapy to provide services that ensure superior clinical outcomes and consistently high patient satisfaction.